This site is archived. For my brand new live site go to Struggle Forever!

20 June 2008

The Story of Stuff


I meant to post this video a few months ago with some of my own thoughts on consumerism and our culture of consumption, but I was busy and never got it together enough to post. In the last month of posts I've addressed most of the issues that I wanted to originally - the filling of needs, abstractionism versus materialism, and feedback systems (covered in the Bateson post) - so I'm not going to rehash those here. I just want to point out, with regard to the linear system that she illustrates, that linear systems like that are generally very rare or non-existent in the real world. Every relationship involves feedback. The video is a good, concise explanation of the consumer system, and I just wanted to share it with all of you. I hope you enjoy it (click on the graphic above to view it).

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails