This site is archived. For my brand new live site go to Struggle Forever!

30 April 2008

Brewing Chicha - El Día Quinto

Well, there's nothing really new to add today. The corn is still germinating - it looks as if I'm getting pretty close to 100% germination rate on these. The black corn was a little slower, but even they are beginning to sprout. I've just been keeping the kernels moist and well mixed.
Tomorrow I should be able to start drying them, depending on how long the acrospires are. We have a food dehydrator in our kitchen here that's just been sitting around since the dawn of time, so I'm going to see if that works and use it to dry the kernels if it does.
One thing that's been on my mind, though, is what I'm going to ferment it in. I guess I should have given it more thought beforehand. Now I'm looking at carboys, but they don't have wide mouths. What would be great is to find a clay pot like the one in the guide, but those aren't very plentiful in this area. I think I might try to visit some gardening stores and look for clay vases. We'll see - something will turn up eventually.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails