This morning I made a comparison of my soaked corn to some dry kernels I had left over, and they were noticeably bigger and softer. They probably gained about 1.5 times their original size and I could bite through them, but couldn't bite through the dried corn without hurting my teeth. Another interesting thing that I noticed on the soak stage was that the water would eventually turn slightly reddish from the black corn - this makes me hopeful for a nice rich color for the end product.
So with my confidence bolstered by that discovery, I decided to begin the germination process this afternoon. As soon as I got home from classes I cleaned out the large pyrex baking dish, drained the water off of the corn, wet a cloth and laid it over the kernels. The corn fills the dish almost to the top, and I put a little bit of water in the bottom to keep it moist. I'll probably rinse it off and mix up the kernels a couple of times a day until the germination is finished to prevent mold or other nasty creatures from growing. That's it for today - in a few days I'll know if the corn is viable and if I'll be able to continue the experiment - I'll keep you posted.