This site is archived. For my brand new live site go to Struggle Forever!

28 April 2008

Brewing Chicha - El Día Tercero

This morning I made a comparison of my soaked corn to some dry kernels I had left over, and they were noticeably bigger and softer. They probably gained about 1.5 times their original size and I could bite through them, but couldn't bite through the dried corn without hurting my teeth. Another interesting thing that I noticed on the soak stage was that the water would eventually turn slightly reddish from the black corn - this makes me hopeful for a nice rich color for the end product.
So with my confidence bolstered by that discovery, I decided to begin the germination process this afternoon. As soon as I got home from classes I cleaned out the large pyrex baking dish, drained the water off of the corn, wet a cloth and laid it over the kernels. The corn fills the dish almost to the top, and I put a little bit of water in the bottom to keep it moist. I'll probably rinse it off and mix up the kernels a couple of times a day until the germination is finished to prevent mold or other nasty creatures from growing. That's it for today - in a few days I'll know if the corn is viable and if I'll be able to continue the experiment - I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

btmc said...

I'm excited, I want to know how it'll turn out. I love projects, especially trying new things, and I especially love projects that involve alcohol consumption. is it possible that you could write your own recipe, your combination of those two, when you have finished? I'd be interested to try, though I spose I could just do it my own way. I'll be looking in...

Jeremy Trombley said...

I'm excited too! I think anyone who is interested could probably follow from the information posted here. I suppose I could explicitly write out instructions and all that, we'll see. In any case, I'll definitely post reflections and recommendations for my own and other's future experimentation.

Related Posts with Thumbnails