This site is archived. For my brand new live site go to Struggle Forever!

04 March 2009

¡Buenas Noticias!

Last semester I put a great deal of time and sweat into applying fro graduate school. I took the GRE, I contacted schools, wrote statements of intent, gathered transcripts, hounded professors to write letters of recommendation, and eventually had to find someone else to write one since one of my professors failed to follow through. But that's all over, and now is the season when all of that work pays off.
Two weeks ago, I got an email from the Anthropology Department at the University of Georgia saying that they accepted me, but they couldn't offer me any financial assistance (they put me on a waiting list).
Last weekend, I got a phone call from Marcela Vasquez-León at the University of Arizona. She said that they were accepting me, that I was their top pick, and that they were going to offer me a research assistantship at with BARA. The next day, I got a call from Diane Austin, the director of BARA, to explain a little more about the RAship.
Tuesday, I went up to the Anthropology Department here to talk with a professor about a paper I have to write. I ran into Dr. Stull in the hallway. He is good friends with the Graduate coordinator at the University of Maryland, Dr. Paolisso. He told me that I had been accepted to UMD, that I was their top pick, and that they were going to offer me a teaching assistantship.
Those are all of the schools that I applied to.
Needless to say, I'm very excited. I can't wait to find out more about the offers, make a decision, and get myself off to grad school.

3 comments:

emmett said...

that sounds really great my friend!
You are an intellectual, you deserve free education. Of course... SO DOES EVERYONE!!!!
Love and balance,
-emmett

btmc said...

so you really are a juggling genius. I'm honored, my friend, to receive such great news. it's good to hear you are finally getting sought after for your amazing mind.
and it's funny, I'm jumping through similar hoops right now, trying to transfer to Wesleyan. I hope your magic rubbed off on me while I was eating your life cereal and sleeping on your futon.
Buenas noticias!

Jeremy Trombley said...

For those of you who are curious, I've decided to go to UMD, College park. Now I just have to figure out how and when to move out there.

Related Posts with Thumbnails