This site is archived. For my brand new live site go to Struggle Forever!

16 October 2009

My Philosophy, In Brief


My social and political philosophy teacher back at KU told us that a philosophy proceeds through various levels. Metaphysics is at the top, and it informs Ontology (the nature of being), which informs Epistemology (the nature of knowing), which informs a whole lot of other things (including ethics, but I'll save all that for another post). Since we've been discussing this kind of thing a lot in my classes, and since I've been struggling with the questions on my own recently, I'm going to post a really brief outline of my own philosophical framework using these three levels.

Metaphysics
To put it simply I am a Realist. That is, I do believe that there is a world "out there" independent of my consciousness. This is in contrast to solipsism which, as I see it, simply degenerates into nonsense. There's a whole lot more to my Realism than I want to go into here - ask if you want more depth.

Ontology
I'm interested in a processual ontology. I see the universe as consisting of relationships and processes rather than objects or essences. I need to do more research on this, but right now I'm really interested in Manuel de Landa's assemblage theory.

Epistemology
Here is were it gets tricky. While I believe that the world does exist independent of my mind, I also believe that my knowledge of that world is shaped my my own interactions with it and by my ideas about it. I think it is impossible to separate myself from whatever phenomenon I may be studying. However, I don't think that my act of studying Determines the nature of the phenomena. That puts me somewhere in the middle of the subjective/objective spectrum with a slight leaning toward constructivism.

That's it for now. I might post some more on these issues a little later. Feel free to discuss.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails